Wow! Is it August already? This summer is flying by! And this month I have decided to start a monthly post where I share my goals with you! Mostly, I’ll share fitness goals with you, but I’m also going to share a few nutrition goals and sometimes some personal goals as well. Getting them all out there will realy make me accountable for each of these goals. So let’s get to it, shall we?
- Continue with my 10K training.
- Last month, I started a 10K training plan that will take me right through the end of October, where a Trick or Trot 10K will be held. It will be my first 10K and I’m super excited about it. While I know a lot of people, don’t need training plans for running a 10K, I like following a plan and I think this is the best approach for me. I’m looking to improve my speed while training, so I’m really hoping this will do it.
- Cross-train 2 times a week
- I’m really bad at this. I run, and never do any sort of cross-training on my off days. Not cool, Sabrina, not cool. However, the past two weeks, I went to the aquatic center for a morning swim. I have really enjoyed those swims. I find them relaxing and peaceful. It’s definitely something I want to continue but the cost can add up, so I’m investing in the punch cards (where it’s slightly cheaper and the hours I can go are better). I think adding at least one swim a week with some yoga will be perfect for my cross-training. And who knows, maybe I’ll squeeze in twice a week. And if you know of any really good yoga videos (preferably some inexpensive or free ones), please let me know
- Strength-train 2-3 times a week
- This is another area I am awful at. I do not strength train nearly enough, and I know how absolutely important it is. I really need to get with the program and just do it already. For this, I’m thinking I’ll add it after each run, except for my long run.
- Do a better job with meal planning
- I typicaly go grocery shopping every Friday or Saturday for the following week, but before I go, I do my best to plan out the meals for the week. While I have beeb doing this for while, I haven’t done the best job I possibly could. I often find myself so busy during the week, that it’s Thursday night or even Friday morning before I sit down to meal plan and by that time, I feel rushed and just pick meals that may not be the healthiest or I pick meals we’ve had a few too many times but I just write them down to get the plan done. This isn’t really a benefit to us. I need to spend more time planning meals so we can try new ones.
- Prepare our own snacks
- With Dylan going back to school in less than 2 weeks, my morning routine will go back to including lunch prep. I would like to start including healthier snack options for his lunch, but in order to do that, I need to stop buying conveniece foods and actually make them. I don’t want to overwhelm myself with too many at once, but if I can make 1-2 a week (3 if I can pick some easy ones), I can get hime set with some good healthy snacks for his lunch, on top of the fruits and veggies he brings.
- Meal prep for the week
- This pretty much goes along with the first two goals. If I can meal (and snack) prep on Sundays (or even Saturdays if we have time), then this will make every meal that much easier. It will also be a lot harder to “go grab a pizza” if I already have the meals prepped and ready to cook as much as possible.
- Unplugging any electronics we aren’t using
- In our house, we already turn off all the lights in our house when we leave, or are not in the room. Well everyone, except for TJ. He’s so bad about leaving his “mancave,” aka the garage, light on. But it’s an easy way to begin going green. Another easy way, is to plug any electronics we are not using. Even when your electronics are off and plugged in they are still using energy. One of the best ways to conserve energy is ti simply unplug them. This includes chargers, bedside lamps, hair dryers, Scentsy warmers that are not on, even your coffee pot. This is an area that we really need to work on. It’s so easy but always forgotten. I unplug my phone every morning, but don’t ever think to unplug the charger and put it in my night stand. In fact, I just stopped to go do that now. haha!
- Finding a green recipe for my dishwashing detergent
- We will be running of dishwashing detergent, so what better to accomplish this goal then to start researching a good recipe for my own. We already already use homemade green laundry detergent and I love it! I have no doubt that I will find a great green recipe for our dishwashing detergent too. Slowly I will get rid of our chemical-filled cleaning supplies.
- Use our resuable totes on every shopping trip
- I already use them every week for grocery shopping, but I often forget when I run to other places like the pharmacy, the mall, Goodwill and even Target. Sometimes when I only need one or two items, I just don’t think about it. I have purchased a lot of these bags but I think I need a few small ones for the small trips too. Maybe I’ll make some!